Thursday, June 24, 2010

Books These Days....

What goes through the heads of the majority of authors of teen books these days? Do they really have such a low opinion of this generation?

Honestly, too many teen books are filled with absolute crap (if you want to be blunt about it). Cursing is rampant (are we honestly that short on vocabulary that we can't think of better words to express our thoughts?), all the characters seem ignorant of even the most basic morals and I won't even begin to talk about the sex element.... Sex is a beautiful gift from God (when saved for marriage), whereas these books turn it into a cheap, meaningless nothing. Sickening.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to say that I want to read books about goody-two-shoes and teenagers who do no wrong. It just would be nice to read something that doesn't make me cringe, turn red, or attempt to hide the book deep in my abysmal closet so my mom doesn't see it...It would also be nice to read about teenagers who are not completely without a sense of moral direction and who don't abuse sex in such disgusting ways. I mean honestly people. Are today's teenagers really that....bad?

Thankfully not that all modern-day books are like that. The Harry Potter books are some of my most favorite books in this whole wide world and the Twilight books (surprisingly enough) don't have any overboard sexual discussions/depictions. However, such books seem to be few and far between. It sure does make my day to know the high expectations authors have of us teenagers. Thanks guys.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Surprising since most authors think that people want to read such stuff. Thanks for the insight.