Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Driving Experience-Part 1

Yesterday I was incredibly psyched. I was finally going to get my license, and I was finally going to be able to drive myself places instead of bumming rides. I was very appreciative I had a neighbor to go with me since my mom had to stay with my dad, even though my neighbor did give me a tremendous scare the day before. It happened this way. We were about to take off for our last driving practice, when she said, "I have some bad news". Well I got a little panicky, but I told myself no need to panic. I mean maybe it was the news that she couldn't practice with me anymore or something. I could handle that. "Well, what is it?" I bravely asked. She responded by saying, "You're not quite through with me yet, dear." I gulped rather loud. "I'm not?" I asked in a rather frail voice. "You see," she said, picking up a book she had gotten from the DMV and thumbing through it, "there's a law here that says for the first six months of having your driver's license you always have to have a supervising driver with you." I about had a heart attack. This could not be happening. I mean what the heck was she talking about? I knew very good and well that all my friends who were 16 drove without supervision, and I knew very well that the driver's ed guy would have told me about such a ridiculous rule. Plus, that kind of defeats the whole purpose of a permit. Well, in a very panicky voice and on the verge of bursting into a fit of anger, I calmly explained these things to her. She refused to believe me, which ticked me off a bit, and then proceeded to show me the part in the book that said, "The supervising driver should be seated beside the driver." Well I almost laughed with relief because I knew exactly what that was talking about. You see, for the first six months you can't drive before 5:00 AM or after 9:00 PM without a supervising driver, so that rule was saying that whenever the supervising driver rode with you, they had to sit beside you. It didn't mean they always had to be with you. Plus the very next line in the book said I could drive without supervision from 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM. So either my neighbor was deliberately trying to ruin my life or she was simply missing the point entirely. I decided to go with the latter.

Well after at least 10 minutes of frantic explaining on my part, she finally seemed to believe me somewhat, but still believed I couldn't drive by myself at all after dark (which is at like 6 now). So somehow my mom or me is going to have to find out the exact rules and show them to her face, or else she will be hounding me for the next six months and I'll never be free. Never. aughhhh haha just kidding. She's a real nice woman and I couldn't have done all this without her. I just really need to drive by myself. Okay? hehe. Anyways back to my present story....

We headed down to the DMV, which was only about 20 minutes away, and an hour later we were still cruising around looking for it. You see, we had no earthly idea where it was, because we were going to a different one than the usual simply because the driver's test is rumored to be easy there. So we had to stop at at least 2 different gas stations asking for directions, and even had to stop an average guy in a parking lot, (who could have been an axe murderer for all I know) to ask for directions as well. But we finally found it. When we did find it, I started to wish we hadn't. I was getting extremely nervous, and as we got closer and closer to the building, my legs started moving slower and slower and slower. I just had this horrible feeling that something was going to go dreadfully wrong......

To be continued....

On a closing note the voice recital Tuesday went all right, and I'm very glad it's over. I must say I hate performing in front of college music students. I really really do. Especially when they're all staring at you like you're some kind of freaky kid without a clue in the world. Anyways, I'm very glad it's over (like I said before). And I'm much looking forward to tomorrow because my friend's bday party is tomorrow and I finally get to see the new Twilight movie. After this crazy week I need some enjoyment. haha.

Later

No comments: