Friday, February 23, 2007

Newspaper Part Two

Here's some more of my 19th century newspaper.


Weather Almanac Predicts Tough Storms Ahead
Sir Ben Roberts announced the official weather prediction from Martin’s Weather Almanac this morning at 6 o’clock AM. Today and tomorrow are to be sunny and pleasurable, but the rest of the week is to be filled with horrific storms including rain, thunderstorms, and perhaps even a tropical storm. If you reside near the coast you may want to travel inland for a while if a tropical storm has been reported for your area. For more information concerning this week’s weather we request that you spend some time at our office talking to Sir Roberts. We are precisely certain he will be able to assist you further.

Local Gentleman Acquires a Fortune!

When Mr. George Peterson was interviewed for this article yesterday evening he was simply speechless with shock. "I can hardly say a word," he stammered out. "I have never been so genuinely happy or so surprised."
Mr. Peterson’s great uncle Mr. Thomas A. Peterson had passed away about two weeks ago, and at the time of his going Mr. George Peterson knew nothing about his uncle’s inheritance. "I simply assumed that my uncle had left nothing for me though I was a bit surprised that he hadn’t. After all I was his only grand nephew and Uncle Thomas had no children. He never married."
As Mr. George Peterson was going about his daily doings yesterday morning he received a telegram to commence traveling immediately to River Oak Heights, the home in which his uncle had resided. When he arrived there he was informed that he was the heir of Mr. Thomas A. Peterson’s grand inheritance which totals to 1,000,230 dollars. Imagine the genuine shock Mr. Peterson experienced when he received this message. As Mr. Peterson is the local doctor in town many of his esteemed customers have feared that he is to resign the practice since he certainly does not need the money. Mr. Peterson has graciously assured them otherwise. "I simply could not leave my dear patients no matter how much money I received from my uncle. I assure you that I will reside as doctor in this town for a good while longer."

Political Editorial Written by the Esteemed Mr. Roger Collins
A week ago yesterday I wrote a column about our esteemed president Mr. James Madison and how worthwhile it was that he recommended the War of 1812 back in 1812. After all, I reasoned, Britain has no right to control the seas in such a ruthless manner and take over our fine American ships. I received a great number of responses to this particular column many being negative and some being positive. I will share two responses to this column with you today. First of all I will share the negative comment sent to me by Mr. James Howland.

Dear Mr. Collins,
I simply must beg to disagree with you on your points listed on your last column about Mr. James Madison. I do not believe Mr. Madison is a good president for our fine country, and I believe his recommending the War of 1812 was a very grave mistake on his part. We have lost many men over this silly skirmish with the British, and I don’t see why we had to go to war in the first place. Why couldn’t we have settled this whole thing in a peaceful God fearing manner? I do not understand the president’s reasoning. Not many years have passed since the Revolution. Why did we have to get involved in another war so suddenly like this? I dearly hope I have not offended you in any way, Mr. Collins. I am merely stating my humble opinion on this great mess we are in.
Sincerely,
Mr. James Howland

Dear Mr. Collins,
Thank you very much for that inspiring column you posted in last week’s paper. I agree with you entirely on nearly every point and you discussed the matter in an educational intelligible way. I wholeheartedly agree with you on the fact that Mr. Madison is an excellent president for our esteemed country and on the fact that the War of 1812 is necessary. This war is the only logical way we can show Britain that we are not to be toyed with. Thank you again dear, sir, and good day.
Sincerely,
Mr. Clark Rochester

I hope you have enjoyed reading these comments from these two different gentlemen. If you would ever like to submit a comment on one of my columns at any given time you may do so by writing out your comment, sealing it in an envelope, addressing to Mr. Roger Collins, and leaving it at the newspaper office here in town. Thank you very much my fine readers for being ever faithful to my column, and good day.


Interview with Ms. Jane Austen
We are very happy to be able to hold an interview here today with the wonderful authoress Ms. Jane Austen. One of Ms. Austen’s most recent work of fiction Pride and Prejudice was published last year and took the reading world by storm. Many copies were sold and this novel is probably one of Ms. Austen’s best works yet. Here is what passed between Ms. Austen and ourselves yesterday afternoon.

Sunbeam: Tell us, Ms. Austen, what were your feelings when you realized how successful your book was becoming with the common people?

Ms. Austen: I must admit I was extremely surprised. I never dreamed this humble writing would do so well with the people. The plot line is a very common one, so I shall admit I was very surprised.

Sunbeam: What do you think was the main factor that attracted so many people to this story?

Ms. Austen: Most certainly the strange characters in this story. First and foremost there’s Mr. Darcy and his very strange aloofness which certainly does not impress the main young lady in the story, Elizabeth. Then of course there is Mr. Collins, Elizabeth’s cousin, Charlotte, Elizabeth’s friend with the oddest ideas surrounding marriage, and the incorrigible Mrs. Bennett.

Sunbeam: Which character in this story are you most drawn to?

Ms. Austen: Probably Elizabeth or perhaps even Mr. Bennett. Elizabeth is the heroine of the story and is very confident and sure of herself in many affairs. Mr. Bennett should be admired greatly for not letting Mrs. Bennett having her way in all affairs and certainly is a very likeable sensible character in more ways than one.

Sunbeam: Which of your novels thus far have the most difficult to write?

Ms. Austen: After most careful thinking I have come to the conclusion that Pride and Prejudice was. The characters were quite difficult to form and sometimes I wasn’t sure where I wanted the story to go. It all came together in the end, however.

Sunbeam: What do you want your fine readers to learn from this story?

Ms. Austen: One should not judge someone merely for their looks or appearances. You should get to know them first and not be prejudiced against them and certainly don’t let your pride get in the way of your relationship with another.

Sunbeam: Thank you very much for this fine interview, Ms. Austen. I certainly wish you a very pleasant day.


Well that is all I'm going to post on this assignment. Hope you enjoyed.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Wow, that's amazing!!!! You wrote from different peoples' perspectives... that is SO COOL!

Hehe, I want to interview Jane Austin! =]

Church was cancelled today due to snow... *is sad* Oh well, life goes on. hehe! Love ya Hannah! Talk to you later!