Sunday, March 18, 2007

Bell Festival

This past weekend (Friday-Saturday) I was on our youth group choir's annual handbell festival. It was very similiar to the choir festival I went on last month except it was handbell playing instead of singing. There were about 24 choirs there. Bell tables, bells, people, chairs, everything all packed into one church's Family Life Center. Oh and before you ask, yes it was a just tiny bit on the claustraphobic side at times :) On Friday evening we had to play bells from 7:00 (not AM) to 10:00 After that session I began to wish I had never seen a handbell in my life. Don't get me wrong, I love playing, but three hours is enough for a handbell fanatic to wish they could get out of there. (And fast.) That evening back at the hotel, I had the pleasure of watching Kentucky win a tournament game (which would cheer anyone up fast in my opnion) :) I was thoroughly exhausted by the time 11:30 rolled around, but of course the two friends I was rooming with had had enough sugar to keep them going for awhile longer. They didn't calm down till about 12:15-12:30, and I just couldn't nod off now matter how hard I tried. Then when I was in the middle of a particularly enjoying dream, rock music blared into my thoughts. Turns out, my friend had set her ipod to go off at 5:30 so she could take a shower. Since we didn't have to be ready to leave for the next bell session till 9:45, I wondered what shower she was taking that would last for hours.

After all that and another morning of ringing, ringing, and I repeat, ringing, it was finally time for the concert which went very well. Finally, the minute the festival ended chaos erupted. Picture this: Notebooks and pencils flying the air, chairs being thrown, tables being taken down and accidentally landing on unfortunate people's heads; okay I'm exaggerated but it is pretty chaotic when 24 bell choirs attempt to pack up all their bells and leave all at the same time. We made it though without no one having to make a trip to the hospital, and now I am so tired I think I'll crawl into bed and sleep for a week.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

"Picture this: Notebooks and pencils flying the air, chairs being thrown, tables being taken down and accidentally landing on unfortunate people's heads; okay I'm exaggerated but it is pretty chaotic when 24 bell choirs attempt to pack up all their bells and leave all at the same time. We made it though without no one having to make a trip to the hospital, and now I am so tired I think I'll crawl into bed and sleep for a week."

I pictured it... and WOW, it's exciting!!!!! HEhe, I wish I had been there to cheer you on. =]

Get some rest. Love ya!