Monday, May 11, 2009

The Trip- Part 1

We finally made it back from my grandparents house today, and I must say it was a very interesting (and very very fun) trip. However, the drive there wasn't so fun.....

First of all, as soon as we finally got everybody loaded in the van and had finally pulled out of the neighborhood after about an hour of everybody frantically running around the house and knocking over anyone in their way, my mom realized she had forgotten something. So back we headed toward our neighborhood. Thank heavens we were only about a mile down the road or I think we all would have been pretty dang upset. So as soon as we made it back home, my mom ran into the house to get the thing she forgot and my brother ran in to get something else he had forgotten as well. This left me and my other brother in the car with the side door open. Little did we know that leaving that side door open was a big mistake....Suddenly out of nowhere this huge black dog started running headlong towards the van. Now if you don't know this about me I am not a very big dog person. I don't mind observing them from a distance or maybe visiting with a friendly one who won't bark at me, but if a dog starts running headlong towards me I'm not going to be a very happy person. The dog stopped about a few feet from the van (and we were yelling at him the whole time to go away) and then the creature had the nerve to jump up in the van, trample on my brother's backpack and my mom's favorite pillow, and stamp on a whole roll of paper towels. Then he started making a beeline for my poor brother who was trapped in the back seat. By this time my mom had reemerged from the house. Boy was she mad. After all, no one tramples my mom's favorite pillow without paying for it. She burst out of the house and started pushing and hitting on the maniac dog while yelling at me to open the automatic door. Now I was in a big state of shock at this point in time, so it took me a minute to process this command. But pretty soon I caught on and pressed it, the dog jumped out and bounded the street, and my mom and brother reentered the van. My mom was pretty darn ticked to say the least. We all were actually. I mean what kind of owners would let their dog run around like that??....Anyways, our trip was already turning out bad and we hadn't even started yet. It just got worse from there....

About an hour down the road, a strange light started flashing on the van which read "Low Coolant". Now whenever a strange light flashes up like that you know something's wrong, so we all started freaking. I checked the van manual, and I discovered that if you had low coolant levels your engine could overheat. We weren't sure if that meant the van would explode killing us all right in the middle of the highway, but we sure knew it couldn't mean anything good. So we stopped at a service station and a guy named Chipmunk (yes his name really was Chipmunk) looked her over, said there was really nothing wrong with her but that he'd added some extra water just to be sure (I was a little confused about what that meant but whatever I guess), and said the engine should be fine as long as we didn't let it overheat. So basically we had sat there for 45 minutes to hear that the engine was fine. *sigh* So out we went again thinking that this trip couldn't get any worse....

As we went on, however, it did get worse. We ran into at least three rain storms so bad that you could hardly see the road ahead of you, and sat in two traffic jams because of road work and an accident. I think the fates were against us....haha. So yes we were not exactly the happiest people by the time we arrived (about an hour and a half late) in KY. But hey, we were just glad we made it. With all that bad stuff happening who knows what would have happened if the trip had been longer....

I'll tell what we actually did on the trip later. Trust me, the visit was much better than the drive there....;)

Later

No comments: