Monday, March 9, 2009

Piano Festival

Well last Saturday I had another piano festival (I know you're probably getting tired of hearing about these....). Since the other two festivals I was so nervous I thought I was either going to puke or pass out, I decided for the benefit of my own sanity and those around me I would try not to be nervous this year. I mean heck. It was just one woman (or judge) who was going to critique. Big deal. I'd done harder things. I had the piece (a hymn arrangement) memorized like the back of my hand. I had this.

As I sat in the auditorium waiting for my turn, I managed to push all my nerves away and keep remembering that in a matter of minutes it would all be over. Even when she called my name I still managed to walk up there in a state of relative calm. The woman seemed nice after all. Not like that first judge I had....I handed her my music so she could look at it and sat down to play. It was then that my poor nerves finally hit. My hands started shaking so bad that the first measure came out garbled. Beads of sweat broke out on my neck. I started again, this time managing to play well. Well until about the 3rd line....It was then I had the total mind block. Every single note I'd worked so hard to memorize left my head and floated off over the horizon....I didn't understand why, but I knew one thing. I had to act fast. I had to act like it wasn't that big a deal.....I cleared my throat rather nervously and said, "I'm really sorry but I completely forgot the song."

The lady looked up, smiled, and said, "Oh that's fine. I wouldn't have expected you to memorize this long hymn arrangement anyway." I was so relieved I almost cried. Once I had my music I managed to relax and did pretty good. Even though it was extremely embarrassing that I had forgotten the piece (for some reason my nerves are connected with my memory) at least I had done it fine with my music. Heck it's not like I'm planning to be a professional piano player or something.....But anyways I'm quite glad that's over. Now all I have left is a recital in about two weeks in which I have to play and sing. Let's just hope I can use my music.....hahaha

2 comments:

Puppyluvr91 said...

Wow, that must have been so scary! That's why I'd be too afraid to do a dance solo, because I'm sure I'd get so nervous that I'd forget everything! lol. That's so good that she let you use your music! You must have been so relieved. lol. Glad everything turned out well. :)

HBSinger said...

Thanks, Hannah!! *hugs* And I sure am glad it did too!! lol