Saturday, January 31, 2009

Beginner's Luck

A week from last Thursday I went bowling for the first time ever. But believe me I didn't really want to go...Not that I didn't like the people that invited me. I was just pretty dang sure I was going to be absolutely horrible. After all, this is coming from a person who finds it challenging to catch a baseball thrown from five inches away...okay exaggerating but still. Anyways, I went, and it went a little better than I thought. The first game I bowled about a 69. Okay, horrible I know, but for me that was pretty fantastic. Then the second game I did even better. I tied for second place at 99. (No, none of us who went were fantastic bowlers that night since the second highest score was 99). I was pretty happy with myself though. I actually did something that required hand-eye coordination without embarrassing myself, and I actually enjoyed myself to some extent. I should have known my luck wouldn't hold..

The next week they called me up again (yes, they're pretty obssessed with bowling) so off I went again. This time I started out rather poorly, but I thought, "hey, I started out poorly last time, so my game'll pick up here in a minute." Well guess what. It didn't pick up... Every time I threw the ball it seemed to find a way to miss the pins. Once it snaked through three of them without hitting a single one. On top of all of this, it was 8:00 PM and I hadn't eaten anything since noon. Plus I was zonked. So by the time we got to the 10th and final round I was so tired, weak with hunger, and horrified at my abysmal performance that I was absolutely positive I would never be caught dead in a bowling alley again. I barely managed to squeak a 60 this time (and I'm surprised I got that high to tell you the truth). So the bottom line is if you're not too horrendous the first time you bowl, don't get your hopes up that you're turning into some great bowler. You just might start going downhill fast from there....So yeah at the moment I'm not sure if I'll be bowling with them again next week seeing as how annoyed I am with bowling at the moment. haha. We'll just have to wait and see....

Later

No comments: