Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Allergy Attack

Well last night I ended up in the emergency room. Now don't panic. I'm fine now. (And I guess if I wasn't fine I wouldn't be writing this. :) Here's what happened. It was about an hour till dinner and I was starving, so I decided to try something I'd never had before- a cashew. I got down about half of it, but I didn't like it so well and decided not to have anymore. Well about two minutes later my throat started feeling really really funny. It became scratchy, my tongue starting feeling puffy, and I could hardly swallow cause all of a sudden I had this huge lump in my throat. I immediately got really panicky, (which certainly didn't help the situation any), so my parents just thought I was having a panic attack. It started to get better, but when dinner time finally came I discovered I had lost my ravenous appetite. I got the worst stomach ache I have ever had in my whole life. No joke. Even chocolate ice cream didn't sound good. (When chocolate ice cream doesn't sound good to me you know something's wrong. :) Well I lay around on the couch with my stomach ache for about 20 minutes. Then all of a sudden it went away. But as soon as the stomach ache left I started breaking out in hives all over my body. I have never been that itchy in my whole life. By this time my mom was worried enough to give me some Benadryl. A few minutes later, however, my hives were getting worse and I started wheezing. That did the breaking point. My mom called my doctor and he said to get to the emergency room. I was having a major allergy reaction, and we were pretty sure the cashew was to blame.

20 minutes later we finally made it to the emergency room. By this time my wheezing was almost gone, (thank goodness), and I was already feeling a lot better. After awhile we finally saw the doctor. By this time my hives were almost gone and I was feeling tons better. I was starting to get seriously sleepy, however, from the effects of the Benadryl so it was quite remarkable that I didn't nod off. Anyhow to make a long story short, the doctor gave me a dose of steriods (not the muscle growing type), told me never to touch a cashew again, and sent me home. I'm feeling much better now but I'm still marveling over the fact that I've eaten peanut butter my whole life and now one half of a cashew completely sets me off. *sigh* oh well. Anyone want the other half of that cashew?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

OH MY GOODNESS HANNAH!!!!!!! That sounds AWEFUL!! I'm sooo glad you're better. I don't blame your for being scared about all that... that would make me so stressed out! That is so sad that had to happen with a cashew...*cries* Hehe, cashews are so good! Yikes... chocolate ice cream didn't sound good? I know how you feel... during that last sickness, I didn't feel like eating ANYTHING.

Hospital visits are always big. Lol, I don't think there is any such thing as a little hospital visit. So I'm glad you're home, safe and sound. *hugs*

And no thanks... I don't think I'll take that other half... lol!

Puppyluvr91 said...

Whoa, that must have been so scary!! I'm sooo glad you're okay though! That happened to my aunt one time when she was visiting and we had to call 911, but luckily she was okay after that! But again, I'm so glad you're all right. :)