Thursday, March 27, 2008

Busy and Zonked

A small (or not so small) run-down on my week so far....

Most of the day yesterday and this morning I got to babysit two girls in our church (they're on spring break). Take a wild guess who's not on spring break at the moment and who probably never will be....Anyways, even though it would mean working a little later in the day to get school done, I decided to do the job anyways seeing as how 1: those girls are quite entertaining and 2: money was involved (hehehe). Wednesday went fine, but this morning I had myself a little panic attack. You see, one of the girls offered me one of those Hershey's chocolate stuffed with caramel sticks. I didn't really like caramel too much, but I hadn't had it in a while so I decided to try it anyways. Ichecked the ingredients to make sure there were no cashews or tree nuts (I'm pretty allergic to thoes things), and after seeing that there were none I started munching away.

A few minutes later I started feeling kind of funny. My mouth almost felt twitchy for a second, and one side of my lip felt slightly swollen. I tried to calm down and think rationally. After all, I was pretty darn sure I wasn't allergic to carmel, plus I could be imagining all these symptoms due to the fact that I get kind of freaked out whenever I eat a new sweet I haven't had before (I'm always slightly afraid I'll have a reaction to it.) I tried to distract myself by talking to the girls, but my lip continued to feel funny and pretty soon my throat did too. By this time I was in ful panic attack mode, but I managed not to show it and excused myself to go the restroom. I ran in there like a guided missle and proceeded to take some allergy medicine with a spoon that could have possibly been used before by my brother...At the moment, however, I was too panicky to care. The last thing I needed was to have a big allergy attack while babysitting. I mean how stupid would that make me look? Plus I really didn't want to pass out or die or anything like that, so I drank it right down and continued to examine my face in the mirror. To tell you the truth I couldn't really tell if it was really swollen or not, but I was so freaked out that I figured I'd better take the medicine anyway.

When I finally finished all this, the girls suggested we watch a movie. (I readily agreed to this suggestion hoping it would take my mind off my "symptoms"). It partly did, and partly didn't. My stomach soon started to ache (probably panic) and my hands got all clammy. To top it all off their little (and I mean really really little)dog kept jumping up on me trying to lick my face. It was cute and all, but when I'm having an allergy attack I really don't want to deal with little dogs that might make my allergies even worse. By the time their mom finally walked in the door, most of my symptoms had subsided except my stomach was still killing me. I was never more glad to see anyone in my life....Okay maybe I'm exaggerating, but you get the picture. As to the question of whether I survived or not, yes I did. And no I did not have to go to the emergency room like last April. I'm not even sure I had a real allergic reaction. It could have been just a panic attack seeing as how nothing too bad happened to me. That would really be a bummer if it was, because it means I almost knocked myself out with that allergy medicine for nothing (trust me that stuff really makes you feel out of it).I'm over the effects now, but unfortunately it hit me right in the middle of my piano lesson that afternoon. I think I still did okay though (which is rather surprising). Anyways, I am taking one thing from this experience: I am never ever ever touching those stupid caramel sticks again.....

Tomorrow I'm going to a youth retreat with my homeschool group (we'll be getting back Sunday), so hopefully that will go well and I won't have any freaky attacks again. Let's just say I'm avoiding candy on this excursion.....Later everyone.

1 comment:

Puppyluvr91 said...

Wow, I would be freaked out if something like that happened to me! Glad you're okay. :)