Monday, April 14, 2008

The Recital

My piano/voice recital was yesterday afternoon. I made it the whole morning through church without feeling one twinge of nerves, which is extremely odd for me. Normally I would be hyperventilating at this point. After church, I went home and ate lunch. To my shock the feelings of calm continued. I should have known it was too good to be true...

As soon as we arrived at the building I started feeling sick. My legs started quivering, and when I saw that none of my three pieces were till the second half I really got panicky. Now I had to sit through a whole first half and an intermission before I could play. Not good considering I had that much more time to sit there and come up with ways I could mess up.

Finally, after what seemed like years, it was finally time for the second act. I was the second person to play in it, and as the first person started I started feeling really queasy. When the person finished and walked backstage, I almost starting hyperventilating. I made it out on the stage without tripping over my heels or looking stupid, and started playing. The first piano song (a jazzy hymn thing) went pretty well. At the end I missed a few cords cause my hands were shaking really bad, but the rest of it went good and now I'm not sure if I ever want to hear that hymn again....

After a few more people played, me and this other girl got to play our duet. It went fantastic. We both stayed in time, and we were able to speed it up without missing any notes. But after all the times we had to practice it, it just had to sound good.

After (once again) a few more people played, it was finally time for my last song which was a voice piece. I was actually quite nervous about this because 1: I hadn't really been able to warm up as much as I would have liked, and 2: My throat had suddenly gone really dry and there was no water in sight. I went out there anyway and it actually went great as well. I didn't forget any of the words (which was a bit of a miracle) and my voice didn't crack on any of the notes. Thank goodness....

1 comment:

Puppyluvr91 said...

Glad everything went okay! I would have been so nervous too!