Tuesday, July 21, 2009

New Harry Potter Movie

I saw the new Harry Potter movie the other day, and I must say it was amazing. (And for me it takes a lot for a movie to be amazing). If you haven’t seen it yet but are planning on seeing it, then I’d advise you not to read the last paragraph because there is a spoiler in it (I just don’t want to be held liable here.)...
Before I launch into the review, I thought I’d make a small note about the quality of the previews shown before the movie. Nothing but crap. And no, I’m not talking about quality of the previews themselves, but the quality of the movies being previewed. It seems like previews these days feature at least two really dumb looking animated movies, a couple of action movies (aka movies in which people run around getting their heads blown off and blowing off other peoples’ heads, and a few others that looked either inappropriate and disgusting or just plain stupid. I mean movie producers are really running out of ideas when they decide to make a movie out of the children’s book Where the Wild Things Are. Don’t get me wrong; I loved that book as a kid. But that sure doesn’t mean I want to see a movie about it...Anyways, moving on to the review...
In this movie, Harry is back at Hogwarts for his sixth year (even though something worse happens to Harry every year he goes to Hogwarts, the poor guy still goes back ;) ). The movie focuses on Dumbeldore (the headmaster of Hogwarts) and Harry exploring the past of Voldemort (the evil guy in case you’re really that out of current events) and attempting to discover what makes Voldemort so powerful. It also centers on Harry’s strange discovery of an old potion book signed "The Half-Blood Prince." (The title of the movie of course). Not all of the movie is so stern and grim, however. Romance is in the air at Hogwarts, and some of the "sticky" relationship situations had me in stitches.
Overall, the movie followed closely to the book, but not enough to where people who read the book would become bored with it (aka the movie threw in a lot of fresh lines and scenes that weren’t in the book). The special effects were amazing, the acting was the best I’ve ever seen it (though I guess the Harry Potter actors have no excuse for not being completely in character by now), the movie was serious, yet had plenty of lighthearted moments so as to ensure you weren’t totally depressed, and the ending scene (in which the students honored a recently deceased Dumbeldore) was so moving it had me in tears. (Not that it takes a lot to get me in tears, but oh well...) The only bad part? They did leave a few things out, and a few parts weren't clarified enough. But hey, that book's a tome, plus they can't go into detail explaining every single thing or else it'd get pretty dang boring. The bottom line is, you need to go see this movie if you haven’t already. GO NOW! I give it 4 out of 5 stars (excellent coming from a harsh critic like myself). All I have left to say is bring on the next movie! (I’ll be a legal adult when the next one comes out. How amazing is that).....
Later

1 comment:

Puppyluvr91 said...

I saw the new HP movie too! It was amazing! I can't wait for the next one!