Monday, February 18, 2008

Books

I thought I'd mention a few books I've been reading lately since I really have nothing new to report.

*One of my novels for school is Cry the Beloved Country, a book I hadn't been looking foward to reading (especially when I saw the list of literature questions). However, it's actually been quite fascinating, and is definitely very moving and touching. Set in South Africa, the book deals with an elderly black parson who is searching for his prodigal son in the large city of Johannesburg (sp?). The amount of apartheid and racial prejudice against the natives is astounding and the way they must live because of it heartbreaking. A very deep book that I highly recommend.

*The novel After the War (which I just started today) looks to be rather different and interesting. It deals with a young Jewish girl who is the only one in her family to survive after the Holocaust. A time and perspective I'd never really thought of before presented in a relatively easy to understand format. I'm sure when I'm deeper in I'll be recommending this one as well. ;)

That's it for now

1 comment:

Puppyluvr91 said...

Sound like good books! I haven't read anything in a long time, mostly because I never could find the time last semester! lol. So I really need to start reading more often again. :)